Monday, May 12, 2014

A late look at some favorite wedding moments

Hi all,

I just realized that I didn't really post wedding photos on here...I know I haven't gotten all of them in, but I have gotten some that made me smile, cry, and a LOT that made me laugh hysterically!  Of course it's nice to have posed photos where everyone's hair is exactly in place and heads are turned a certain way, etc.  But honestly, the photos I love the most are the ones where I can just tell someone had just told a dirty joke, or one of the little girls did something silly; they show us as, well, US!  Here are some of my favorite photos that I looked through today and made me smile.  To make up for not posting in awhile, I'm putting these photos on here first before anywhere else.  I hope they put a smile on your face too, even if you don't know any of us :).

{ALL PHOTOS IN THIS POST ARE BY MELANIE MERKLING PHOTOGRAPHY!}

Our playlist: we had Spice Girls, Destiny's Child, TLC, Journey, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Sisqo, Queen,...you know, basically anything we ever learned all the words to or memorized the dance from a music video back in our junior high years.  It was only fifteen years ago...

Required food for brunch in bed: croissants, Cheez-Its, fruit, coffee, tea, mimosas, chocolate chip cookies, etc.  Basically all sleepover/hangover remedy  food.  Also a requirement: must eat while still in bed.  What's a sleepover without a bed that can fit six of your closest friends?   

 I have to brag on our sweet flower girls.  They didn't know each other before the wedding and they were pretty shy at first, but as soon as we had to wait in the green room together while the guests filed into the space, they started sharing snacks, twirling around the room, complimenting the sparkles on each others dresses, and playing on the iPad together.  I love that kids can go from total stranger to immediate pals with a simple 'I like your hair bow.'  And they were just the most adorable pair walking down the aisle together, each carrying her sparkly Winter equivalent of a flowerball.  I say this not because I could see them actually walking down the aisle because I was 'hidden.'  My husband told me this, verbatim.  If a guy describes their adorableness like that, I can only imagine how I would react - I mean, I was close to tears just seeing all the bridesmaids lining up.  I would be a sobbing wreck!    


 One of the things that I love about D is that he can connect with anyone.  He hadn't known my girlfriends for a long time like I had, so he made a point to get to know them.  He made sure to ask for all of their opinions on proposing to me and even on engagement rings.  He called them about wedding timelines to check in and make sure they knew where to be and when.  So, I've known some of these girls for around 16 years and we're all pretty protective of each other and the people we date (we have to make sure these 'outsiders' are worthy of being with our best friends, of course!).  Even though D's been an 'outsider' to my group of best friends, I think the girls have found him worthy :).  This photo proves that they're pretty comfortable around him, and that means he's 'best friend- approved.'
                                                                                                                                                                       
Since I wasn't exactly present for this photo, I can't explain just what these men were doing.  I can, however, attest to the fact that they are respected professionals, most with loving wives and children.  Whether or not this photo tells the same story, I'll let you decide.  (I must admit, we have one very flexible groomsman there on the left side - do you see his legs hoisted on someone's shoulders?!  He could be in the circus!)
The thing I said about D getting to know my best friends goes both ways.  He has three brothers and several groomsmen he's known since elementary school.  Now they live in all parts of AR and some in other states, but I was lucky enough to get to spend time with most of them when the two of us started dating (this was before they became husbands, fathers, etc.).  They made me feel like one of the guys, which is a good and not so good thing, but I can say that I never felt excluded.  In fact, the only time I've ever played beer pong was when I was in grad school and I drove 1,000 miles to AR to visit D for the weekend.  I was 22/23, and learned how to play my first and only round of beer pong at the house that D shared with two of his best friends and groomsmen.  Thanks for letting me into your club, fellas.  I promise to take care of your brother for you, and to have scotch ready anytime you guys want to come over and visit. Love you, brothers! 
 I have absolutely no idea what we're looking at or why we're so surprised, but I do remember that during cocktail hour I went upstairs to change to my reception dress and D & I were able to eat a little dinner by ourselves.  I don't remember what we talked about, but I do remember both of us remarking over and over "wow...we JUST got married!"  It felt surreal, because we were sitting there in these beautiful clothes eating amazing food and it felt almost awkward because moments earlier we were two single people and now we were eating our first meal...married.  He kept saying how strange it felt to have a ring on his finger.  We've been married now for almost five months, and last he said that for the first time, he had taken it off to do something and that his hand felt naked without it.  I don't know why, but a huge smile crept over my face when he told me that.  


Well, that's the end of my exclusive 'in the moment' wedding photos.  We have hundreds more, but where's the fun in sharing them all at once?

Here's to life!  May you be blessed with one that's filled with love, laughter and people who can bring you both.

xoxo,


No comments:

Post a Comment