Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Rules For Living, In No Particular Order

I've been sick all week.  Really sick.  Hospital 2x, sleeping for 20 hrs. a day sick.  Do I feel like writing a blog entry?  Honestly, no.  But, if I didn't do something every time I didn't 'feel like it,' I'd never get anything done.  So, today's post is a simple quote from 'Mad Men.'  Yes, the TV show.  I read a great quote recently that was such a great advice that I thought it couldn't possibly have come out of the mouth of Don Draper.  Yet, I was wrong.

Over the past ten years or so, I've compiled these 'Rules for Living,' often taking them from interviews, books, poems, films, old quotes, etc.  When I came across this quote by Don Draper's character in 'Mad Men,' I thought that maybe I should actually write these down so I'll have some kind of record of all these jumbled ideas about how to live my life.  Most of them I don't have to explain, or just plain won't explain, but that's mainly because if you don't understand it, the rule may not apply to you or your life.  Well, here goes.  The most recent addition to my 'Rules for Living:'


MAKE IT SIMPLE, BUT SIGNIFICANT.

- Don Draper

My life should be simple, but significant.  What a perfect summation of something that Don wasn't remotely referring to: how we want to be remembered.  Simple, but significant.  

xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment